Passing the driving test is a big achievement. Unfortunately this isn’t enough to make you a competent and safe driver on all types of roads and in all weather conditions.
Statistics show that young drivers aged between 17 and 25 have a greater chance of having an accident that could result in an injury or fatality.
The Pass Plus Training Scheme is aimed at newly qualified drivers who do not have a lot of driving experience or lack confidence to help improve their driving skills in a safe environment. It has been designed by the DSA in collaboration with insurance companies. The Pass Plus course will also get drivers large discounts on their car insurance. When you start your Pass Plus course your instructor will give you a list of insurers that participate in the Pass Plus scheme.
There is no time limit of taking the Pass Plus after passing your driving test but it is most beneficial to new drivers in the year after passing their driving test
What is in the Pass Plus course?
The Pass Plus course has 6 topic:
- In town: In this module you will taught how to deal with busy and complicated roads. You will also be taught to take extra care when dealing with cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians. Progressive driving and the importance of eye contact will also be taught.
- In all weather: In this module you will be taught how to drive in adverse weather conditions like heavy rain, fog or sleet or snow. You will learn how to correct skidding and how to prevent skids. Along with the importance of controls such as wipers and demisters
- On rural roads: In this module you will be taught the difference in town and rural driving. For example how to deal with horses, tractors, dead ground and how to use passing places
- At night: In this module you will be taught the importance of lights, the correct use of lights, dazzling other drivers and how to deal with being dazzled.
- Dual carriageways: In this module you will be taught how to use a slip rd and how to use a central reservation area.
- Motorways: in this module you will be taught how to leave more space between vehicles and the importance of forward planning because of the higher speeds involved.
Here is a brief description of what each topic is about. Your driving instructor will teach you each topic thoroughly. There is no test to pass to gain the Pass Plus qualification. Instead your driving instructor will assess you during the course. All you need to complete the Pass Plus course is a full UK driving licence.